Preparing a foundation for wound healing
Effective preparation of the wound bed and surrounding skin includes proper cleansing and removal removal of harmful components that can impede healing. These factors include slough, hyperkeratotic skin, debris, and high levels of bacteria – including biofilm4-6
KerraPrep – Your partner in wound bed preparation
- Soft, polyester-fiber pads with finger pouch are conformable and controllable
- Gently removes non-viable tissue, hyperkeratotic skin, and debris
- Increases patient tolerance and acceptance
- Physically disrupts biofilm*7,8 and helps reduce wound bioburden9
- Helps prepare the wound bed for efficient use of sharp KerraPrep (curette, scalpel, scissors)
- Reduces the risk for cross contamination10
KerraPrep physically disrupts biofilm and helps reduce bioburden9
Pseudomonas aureginosa biofilms were grown for 24 h on membranes before placing onto 1cm^2 pieces of pig skin. Biofilms were left to grow for a further 24 h. Biofilm removal was assessed by attaching KerraPrep to a toothbrush simulator.
After treatment, biofilms were visualised with blue staining. Viable bacteria appear pink whereas nonviable bacteria and porcine cells appear blue.
Quantification using Image ProPlus software revealed significantly less viable biofilm after using KerraPrep™ compared to NA Gauze
KerraPrep reduces risk for cross contamination10
Bacterial lawns of Pseudomonas aeruginosa were prepared on fresh agar plates and incubated over night. Using clean nitrile gloves, gauze and KerraPrep were used to clean the agar plate then the gloved hand was pressed onto a fresh plate. The plate was incubated overnight and assessed for bacterial transfer.
Gauze allowed considerable bacteria to be transferred from the users glove to post cleansing. Dense bacteria presence is indicated by the brown hue.
KerraPrep allowed dramatically less bacterial transfer. The lack of brown hue shows reduced bacterial presence compared to gauze.
KerraPrep™ is effective across a variety of wound and tissue types
Wound bed preparation with KerraPre is easy and convenient
Application Guide PDF
1. Greenstein, E. Effects of using a soft monofiliment debriding mitt verse traditional gauze for wound bed preparation in painful lower extremity wounds. Poster presented at WOCN, 2016. 2. Comparison of the functional, ease, ergonomic use of KerraPrep. CHC R352. Data on file, 2015. Crawford Healthcare Inc. 3. Comparing the soft debridement characteristics of KerraPrep. CHC R354. Data on file, 2015. Crawford Healthcare Inc. 4. Wolcott R, Kennedy J, Dowd S, 2009. Regular debridement is the main tool for maintaining a healthy wound bed in most chronic wounds. J Wound Care; 18(2):54-6. 5. Strohal R, Apelqvist J, Dissemond J, O’Brien J, Piaggesi A, Rimdeika R, Young T, 2013. EWMA document: debridement. An updated overview and clarification of the principle role of debridement. J Wound Care; 22 (Suppl. 1):S1-S52. 6. Falanga V, Brem H, Ennis W, Wolcott R, Gould L, Ayello E, 2008. Maintenance debridement in the treatment of difficult to heal wounds, recommendations of an expert panel. Ostomy Wound Management (June Suppl.):2-13. 7. Thomason H, 2013. In vivo testing report describing the efficacy of KerraPrep™ to reduce bacterial load of Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm infected mouse wounds. The University of Manchester, Faculty of Life Sciences. Data on file, Crawford Healthcare. 8. Wilkinson H, McBain A, Stephenson C, Hardman M. Comparing the effectiveness of polymer deriding devices using a porcine wound biofilm model. CHC-R391. Data On File. Crawford Healthcare Ltd. 9. Thomason H.A., et. all. 2016. Monofilament wound preparation significantly reduces biofilm bioburden in an ex vivo and in vivo wound model. The University of Manchester. Poster presented at: WOCN Society 48th Annual Conference. 2016 June 4-8. 2016. Montreal, Canada. 10. Lovett J, Roberts S, Stephenson C, 2016. Assessing the potential for cross contamination following wound bed preparation.
PRODUCT & ORDERING INFO
If you need specific product information, or you want to know more about Kerraprep; Contact Us.
To place an order please contact your medical supply distributor or call 855-522-2211
Hours of Operation
Monday thru Friday 9:00AM – 6:00PM / Saturday 9:00AM – 12:00PM